top of page

Canada Visa for Dentists

Photo credit - Dr Afrah Misbah

“Security Is Mostly A Superstition. Life Is Either A Daring Adventure Or Nothing.” – Helen Keller

This is one of the hardest obstacles for immigration to most countries, and as Dentist as far as I understand the immigration is not difficult as of now.

  • I have got all the below information from my friend Huda who is an immigration consultant and is quite knowledgeable specifically about dentistry.

  • She works for Solutions Immigration Consulting Inc firm, based in Toronto. They specialize in all fields of Canadian Immigration which includes Temporary Residence (Visitor, Study, Work), Permanent Residence (Sponsorship, Express-Entry, Refugees, Humanitarian and Compassionate Considerations), Hearings and Appeals, Citizenship etc.

  • They also do phone consultations and provide immigration advice for international clients and handle global clients pertaining only to Canadian Immigration

Student Permit

  • In Canada, each province and territory is in charge of its own education system.

  • Provinces and territories approve (or “designate”) schools that can enrol international students. These schools are known as designated learning institutions (DLI). If you need a study permit, your acceptance letter must be from a DLI. If it isn’t, they will refuse your application.

  • Once you choose a school, college or university, you must apply to go there. Every school has different rules on how to apply. Make sure you apply at least a year in advance for a post-secondary program at a university, college, etc.

  • The Government of Canada doesn’t pay for the medical costs of foreign students. Health coverage for foreign students is different depending on where you live. Contact the school you are applying to for more information about health insurance.

  • You may be eligible to work in Canada while studying if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on or off-campus. You must also meet all the other requirements. You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program.

  • You will need to get a work permit if your study program includes a required co-op or internship placement. Find out how to apply for a co-op work permit.

  • PGWP is a scheme by the govt giving you permit to work in Canada for a certain period after your course. You have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).To be eligible, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.

  • If your program was more than 8 months but less than 2 years, they may give you a PGWP that’s valid for up to the same length as your study program.For example, if you completed a 9-month program, we may give you a work permit for up to 9 months.

  • If your program was 2 years or more, they may give you a PGWP that’s valid for 3 years.

  • If you completed more than 1 program, you may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program.

    • Each of the programs you completed must be

    • PGWP-eligible and at least 8 months in length

  • You can’t get a PGWP if you already had one after completing an earlier program of study.

  • Check out the details of 'International Student Permit' and how to apply.

Express Entry for Residence Permit

  • The application process for skilled immigrants who want to settle in Canada permanently and take part in the economy.

Find out if you are eligible to apply.

  • You will need about 10 to 15 minutes to fill out this form.

  • You will be asked questions about your -nationality, age, language ability, family members, education work experience, details on any job offer

  • Based on your answers, they will tell you what programs you may be eligible for, so be as accurate as you can.

  • If you are eligible for Express Entry, they will give you a detailed list of instructions on what to do next. This would include filling out an online profile.

  • Based on this profile, if you meet the requirements, you will be put in a pool of candidates for immigration, and possibly invited to apply to immigrate.

  • You need documents, some like language test results take a long time to get, so you should get them ready early.

    • Passport or travel document​

    • An education credential assessment report is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one. There are different agencies that check this for you and it is listed on this page. You will need this if

      • you are applying through the Federal Skilled Workers program, or

      • you want to get points for the education you got outside Canada

You need to provide these documents for the same

  • Comprehensive Ranking System Tool (CRS) -This tool gives you a rough calculated estimate as to where an individual stands with a score and what are your chances to get an invitation to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada. The points you get from the CRS include a core set of points up to 600 and a set of additional points of up to 600. Your total score will be out of 1,200. It is used to assess your:

    • skills

    • education

    • language ability

    • work experience

    • other factors

There are 5 groups

  • Skill type 0

  • Skill type A - Professional jobs fall under the category of Skill type A which includes doctors, dentists, engineers, architects etc.

  • Skill type B

  • Skill type C

  • Skill type D

How to create the Express Entry profile

  • Create your account online - GC Key user ID and password.

  • Create your express entry profile - Fill in the details

  • Submit your application, once you do it you will have a score generated and you will enter the pool with other candidates.

  • Candidates in the pool are ranked using a points-based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) mentioned above. The highest-ranking candidates from the pool are selected and invited to apply for permanent residence. The number of draws in the month is variable also the cut-off rank is subjected to change every month

  • Note 1: Your Express Entry profile will be active for a year after which it will expire and you will have to re-upload it again.

  • Note 2: Your English scores will be valid for 2 years only after which you have to take it again. These two notes are applicable only if you have not been selected/invited to apply for Permanent Residence due to a shortage of scores or fewer scores and that you still want to remain in the pool to try your chances.

  • Submit your Express Entry profile application - Express - entry profile is absolutely free of cost. The fees have to be paid only after you receive an invitation to apply for a Permanent Residence. Once applications received, they select the highest-ranking candidates from the pool and invite them to apply for permanent residence.

  • The cut-off score varies from month to month as to who gets invited. You can have rough ideas from this list here. In April 2020 the CRS score of the lowest-ranked candidate invited was 452! If you have insufficient scores, then a trick is you can learn French - it gives you a huge advantage to know French in Canada.

  • The cost of the whole application works to be around $1000.

bottom of page