top of page


“Desire is the key to motivation, but it’s determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal – a commitment to excellence – that will enable you to attain the success you seek.”-Mario Andretti

Photo courtesy -@indykadeer


  • Lots of colleges abroad will take students for externships, mostly in their final year of college and internship. Although it is going to be expensive - tickets and stay and the tuition itself, it may be a great opportunity to explore your options make some contacts and networking.

  • A few other options you could try from India is to try an exchange programme with any college, so find people who might be keen to come to India for the experience.

  • I also hear that observerships are easier to get when you are an undergraduate student than after completing the course, so well worth exploring your options, and also making a covering letter and sending it to quite a few departments and /or few colleges- you may get a positive from someone...

1. Columbia university -Externships in Orthodontics, Prosthodontics, Periodontics, and Endodontics

Foreign Externship Tuition Schedule for 2019-20

  • 3 Months $35,286

  • 6 Months $56,454

  • 12 Months $84,684

  • Tuition: 1 week: $995;

  • 1 month: $3,380

  • 1 year: $19,000

  • The Dental Institute runs an Elective Programme for International Dental students in their final year of undergraduate study.

  • The placement is for a 2 week period and is an observation only placement held at Guy's Hospital London.

  • To apply please contact The Dental Institute to confirm whether places are still being accepted.

  • Please email

  • Elective students do not pay tuition fees when they register for the programme but an administration fee of £100 does apply.

  • PhD students from Universities outside the UK may apply to the Visiting Researchers scheme.

  • Visiting Research students should be current students at another institution either in the UK or internationally. They will have a viable programme of research for which study in London is necessary. They should identify a supervisor who is an academic member of staff at King’s and will personally support their application.

  • For visits of up to 3 months, no fee would be charged;

  • For visits of 3 to 6 months, a fee of £500 would be charged;

  • For visits of between 6 and 9 months, a fee of £2,000 would be charged;

  • For visits of 9 to 12 months, a fee of £4,500 would be charged.

  • For visits of more than 12 months, normal tuition fees for your fee status will apply.

  • Elective placements are offered over a 6 week period from mid-February to April each year. Elective placements of up to 2 weeks are available.

  • A fee of £200 is payable once your request for an elective placement has been accepted.

  • Our elective placements are usually observational. However, if you have a project you would like to do, you should state this on your application form. Depending on the type of project we may be able to organise this for you.

  • Shadowing - long and short term available.

  • Also ays option of internship/fellowship and mini-residency - you have to contact directly to see eligibility and costs

  • You can do this in the prosthodontic department, they will not be able to sponsor a visa. Fill the application form.

  • One week$2,000

  • Two weeks$3,500

  • Four weeks$5,000

  • Two Months$6,400

  • One Quarter$9,000

  • Six Months (2 Qtrs)$16,000

  • There is also a scholars programme which is for people who have finished their masters. It is quite expensive they have a few different options and cost - do check it out.

  • Admission to the Visiting Scholars Program is on a competitive basis; a limited number of Scholars are accepted at any given time to assure adequate facilities and mentorship for each individual. Applicants must hold a professorial title at another institution.

  • You must secure an externship, clinical observation or research opportunity through your department of interest.

  • once the department of interest has selected you for an externship or clinical observation, apply for it with all the required paperwork

  • I have seen this expansive list on one of their forums, i am not sure if these are open to international dentist needing a visa

  • you will have to do your own research and contact whoever you would feel fit.

  • This is in the OMFS department. This may be worth exploring as in Minnesota you do not have to study for 2 years before giving the licensure exam.

  • This is a week learning more about our incredibly diverse and challenging speciality.

  • I am not sure if this is open to international students but it's well worth contacting the head and exploring your option.

  • A website with a lot of options for dentistry internship you could explore.

Research Opportunity

  • These are usually unpaid, will need to be mostly full time and expect a commitment of 1/2 semesters.

I have only covered UK and US, but you can do it from any other country and I am sure there will be a lot more options, if you are really keen on research then most departments would be happy to have you. It will mostly be as unpaid work, if you know what topic you would like to pursue, you can find out where there is most research output about that topic then contact which department is the best, and most suitable for you - in terms of country, visa, expenses. Then contact the Head of the department with your request in a well-drafted email. It may be worth writing to some of the ones that are not your first choice, so you can learn from mistakes, make amends so when you come to the top of the list of your choice you have a well-drafted email. You should sound determined, very keen to help and learn, and have a clear career plan mapped out ahead in a well-written covering letter.

Best of luck, if you know any more please do let me know...

bottom of page